What is a dutch baby? It is a German Pancake to die for! I do a lot of reading on baking and came across a recipe for a dutch baby. They looked so delicious I had to try for myself. It makes our American pancakes look and taste pathetic! And anybody can make this! Here is a picture I found on the internet. We devoured ours before I could even think about taking a picture. I think I will make the next one with some very thin sliced apples. Here’s the simple recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Melt butter in glass pan or casserole dish in the oven.
3. Blend eggs in mixer for a couple minutes
4. Add milk to eggs and blend another minute.
5. Add flour to egg mixture and blend another minute.
6. Pour batter into pan with melted butter.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, until batter has puffed up and turned golden brown. (It puffs up in the oven but flattens when you take it to serve it).
8. Serve with syrup (or butter, light sprinkling of powdered sugar and homemade raspberry jam). Delicious!
Use these quantities depending on how many people you intend to serve:
Pan Size Butter Eggs Milk & Flour
2-3 quart 1/4 cup 3 3/4 cup each
3-4 quart 1/3 cup 4 1 cup each
4-4 1/2 quart 1/2 cup 5 1 1/4 cup each
4 1/2-5 quart 1/2 cup 6 1 1/2 cup each